Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Paint Day 7: Akabeko

Hello!

I wanted to relax and loosen up a bit today, and I figured inking with a brush was a good place to start.

This is what I had in mind...
So loose. So logo.



 ...but here's what I ended up with:

もー ("moo")

No specific reference, but I was inspired by this and this.

The akabeko (red cow) is a figure in Japanese lore. It is said to ward off smallpox, and a traditional toy is made in the likeness of the original legendary cow. (Its head bobs up and down!) Read more here.

Japanese mythos is so full of interesting creatures and stories. Because it is so different from the Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, European, American, etc. myths that I grew up with, reading Japanese (and other) stories is a great source of inspiration.

One of my favorite Japanese urban legends/monster stories is the Aka Manto (Red Cape). It's so creepy and hilarious: it literally haunts the last stall in public bathrooms, and how it kills you is determined by how you answer its question: "Red paper or blue paper?" It's like the bridge keeper from Monty Python and the Holy Grail combined with Moaning Myrtle.

I just love the akabeko design. He (or she, because it's a cow?) will probably appear again. And upgraded!


Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment